Tuesday, February 7, 2012

My First Vegan Baking Class at Spiral Diner

I had the most wonderful evening! I took my first vegan baking class at Spiral Diner and Bakery. Both the Dallas and Fort Worth locations offered the class but I was quick to sign up for the first one in Fort Worth. My wonderful husband let me use our "entertainment money" to pay for the class. I think he was tired of me walking around in sulky unhappiness after each failed baking attempt. I won't get into the nasty details but let's just say that my first attempt at GF vegan chocolate chip cookies turned out as one large gritty pancake ... (insert pouty lip). 

Just 1/3 of the class. Friendly fellow Vegan bakers.
All day Monday I was filled with excitement and a little trepidation. Would I be the only one who stumbled along the vegan way? What if asked about tapioca flour and everyone laughed? (I worry needlessly, I know). I made the fortnight journey from Frisco to Fort Worth, parked my little car, took a deep breath and walked through the door. I was immediately face to face with Lindsey, the Fort Worth Spiral owner. There she was, an expert in vegan baking. Star-struck, I muttered something probably ridiculous and made my way to find a seat.

Soon the room was filled with over 20 people looking to learn more about Spiral's delicious vegan treats. Tonight's menu: Chocolate Cheesecake, Tiramisu, Cinnamon Rolls and Sugar Cookies. I wiggled in my seat with excitement.

THE menu
Soon Sara (the Dallas Spiral owner) and Lindsey began our class. Their kind, steady voices were extremely inviting and I immediately felt at ease. I can do this. This is going to be great.

Our first dessert was Chocolate Cheesecake. I promised not to share the recipes but it was so easy and so sinful in my mouth. Besides, you have got to take one of the baking classes to get the recipe yourself. So worth it. Then we made the Tiramisu and I have to admit that it tasted better than any tiramisu I've ever had. I love their tip about the lady fingers. Instead of piping each finger, they make a pan of lady fingers and then cut them into the appropriate shape - great tip Spiral Chicks. Then we made Cinnamon Rolls (delightful sigh...). The smell of cinnamon baking makes me weak in the knees. These cinnamon rolls were made the yeast way with all the rising and punching. They were so delicious. After this class I got a little braver and tried another gluten free vegan cinnamon roll recipe (stay tuned for that recipe and pictures). Then lastly, we made the quintessential sugar cookie. They even had vegan/natural dye. Soooo cool.
Sara, in action, making delicious vegan treats.

Throughout the class, the girls were so kind to offer great information. Like I did not know that regular sugar is not vegan! What? They also shared tips on how to make the recipes gluten free.

I had so much fun and even got up enough courage to talk to Sara and Lindsey after the class. If you haven't eaten at Spiral Diner, put it on your list. Even if you aren't vegan, the food rocks your socks. Hmmm...I am really craving Sketti and Meatballs (and probably a Spiral Brownie to end it all). See you Saturday Dallas Spiral Diner!!!

Here are some pictures of the desserts. I do apologize that this is an iPhone picture and not a deluxe food photograph. Oh and the sugar cookie picture is missing because someone ate it before she took a picture ... giggle.

Chocolate Cheesecake - tasted so much
better than my iPhone picture captured.

I love you Spiral Tiramisu!!
Ooey Gooey Spiral Cinnamon Roll

Sara and Lindsey, Vegan Treat Experts!


Be sure to check out Spiral Diner www.spiraldiner.com and follow them on Twitter @spiraldiner


2 comments:

  1. Those cinnamon rolls look amazing! I bet Daddy would like those! MMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that there were any other vegans in Frisco other then my brother and I! lol

    ReplyDelete